Did you know that working a desk job takes a toll on your body? Granted you’re not lifting heavy objects or running back and forth. But sitting and staring at screen for 8-9 hours at a time is hardly healthy. Trust me, I know how it goes. You get into this rhythm of cranking out your daily tasks and before you know it you haven’t taken your eyes off of your monitor in 4 hours.
I’ve created this list of habits that you can incorporate in your daily 9-5 life. Trust me your body will thank you.
If you need a little assistance, I highly recommend setting an alarm or alert to remind you to take a moment for yourself throughout your workday. This will prompt you to get up or take a sip of water whatever it is until you get into the habit of doing it on your own.
6 Habits Everyone With an Office Job Should Be Doing Between The Hours of 9-5
- Go For a Walk: Sitting down for long periods of time isn’t great for anyone. Especially if you’re doing it 5 days out of the week for hours at a time. Plan to take a break, get up, and walk around for 5-10 throughout your day. Walk to your car, the bathroom, the breakroom, or just around the office.
- Stretch: Stretching is a great way to avoid stiffness. Don’t worry you don’t have to do downward dog in the middle of your office. There are a ton of stretches that you can do from the comfort of your chair. Not sure what stretches to do? Well here ya go!
- Don’t Cross Your Legs: Did you know that crossing your legs for long periods of time can affect your blood circulation and lead to poor posture? I’ll admit, This one was hard for me at first. I didn’t realize how often I was doing it until someone pointed it out. It’ll take some time, but just be mindful and actively correct yourself.
You Can Do It!
- Posture Check: This is a big one! It’s easy to start slumping down in your chair as the day goes on. Start being more mindful of how your sitting. If you feel yourself starting to hunch over, correct that posture! As you become more aware of it you will notice yourself correcting your posture throughout your day. If you need a little help, I recommend adding some extra lumbar support.
- Wear Blue Light Glasses: Between starting at your computer screen all day and your phone screen any other time your eyes are tired! Did you know that blue light glasses reduce the strain on your eyes? You can buy non prescription blue light glasses or ask your optometrist about getting blue light blockers added to your current prescription.
- Get a Reusable Water Bottle: This tip is crucial. DRINKING WATER IS IMPORTANT. This is one of the habits that everyone should have. If you’re someone who finds it hard to drink water throughout the day, I recommend getting a nice reusable water bottle. Carry this bad boy with you everywhere. When you have something that’s in your eyeline constantly you’re more likely to use it.