Last year I struggled with extremely dry hair. My hair would not retain moisture AT ALL. That all came to a stop once I found out my hair porosity. I quickly learned that the products I was using on my hair were weighing it down rather than moisturizing it. So I did my research and found the products that work best for my hair type. With the help of these products and my new and improved routine my hair has been thriving! Everything is linked on this page for you just in case something catches your eye!
*Please note that this site uses affiliate links. If you choose to click on links, I may receive a small sum on monetary compensation at no cost to you!*
Wash Day – Sunday
- Pre Poo – Since my hair is Low Porosity it does not retain moisture easily. So I start my wash day by gently massaging almond oil onto my scalp working my way down my hair. Once I’m done, I pop on a shower cap and my thermal cap to heat up the oil. Some people pre poo over night but I tend to do it for 30 minutes. Anything longer than 30 minutes may do more damage than good. By doing this I’m opening up the cuticles which will allow the moisture to be absorbed into the strand.
- Shampoo – After rinsing my hair out with warm water, I shampoo my hair. You want to use a good clarifying shampoo to get rid of the build up. You should know, I only shampoo my hair every other week. Shampooing your hair too much can strip it of it’s natural oils. When I shampoo I love to use my scalp massager. Not only does it assist in getting rid of the build up but it helps stimulate hair growth.
- Conditioner – After applying my conditioner, I use my wide tooth comb to detangle making sure to always start from the bottom of the strands making my way to the scalp.
- Deep Conditioner – Since my hair has trouble locking in that moisture I make sure that my deep conditioner (and other products as well) is made with humectants. (i.e. honey, glycerin, aloe vera, etc.) I slather on my DC, pop on my shower cap, and throw on my thermal cap. I typically let it sit for about 30 – 45 minutes before detangling once again and then rinsing out.
- LCO Method (Liquid, Cream, & Oil)– This method is crucial for locking in that moisture. After sectioning off my hair, I spray each section with water. (Liquid) Once it’s wet I start applying my leave in conditioner (Cream), making sure to detangle as I apply. Last but not least oil! I massage it onto my scalp and scrunch the residue into my hair.
- Diffuse – First rule of diffusing, never ever diffuse your hair when it’s soaking wet. I allow my hair to air dry for 30 minutes to an hour before diffusing. I never diffuse my hair sitting straight up. I usually lean my head forward and gently diffuse each section for about 10 seconds at a time.
In Between Care – Monday – Wednesday & Friday – Saturday
- Sleep – Before bed I like to spritz my hair with own concoction. (I mix my leave in conditioner with water into a spray bottle. lol) In order to protect my hair I use a satin scarf to wrap up my hair into a pineapple. For good measure I also make sure to sleep on a satin pillowcase.
- Workouts – I typically like to workout in the morning. So I keep my hair tied up in the pineapple which keeps it out of my face.
- Refresh – When refreshing my hair I use my spray bottle leave in / water concoction to spray some life back into my curls. Once my hair is nice and damp I massage the almond oil onto my scalp to help retain the moisture.
- Bonus – There are two additional steps I take to keep my hair healthy. I make sure to drink a ton of water throughout my day and I make sure to get in a daily dose of collagen.